Friday 1 June 2018

Day 5

It was 6 degrees in Yemmy when I woke up this morning but it didn't seem so bad when I saw that had been 2 degrees back home. I was brave and had a shower but I wasn't long dressing afterwards!

Queensland lived up to it's reputation as 'The Sunshine State' and it was a lovely day for driving with clear skies and bright sunshine. I'm at Eulo tonight near the Pardoo River. My site doesn't overlook the water but it's only a little way off. I did a fair walk this afternoon along both banks and it really is a lovely spot. Of course I found people to chat to along the way - one lady -Suzanne by name - had read a lot of my columns and reminded me of a lot of things I'd written about over the years.

Today was road kill day! Mostly kangaroos but a couple of sheep as well  The emus must be clever because although I saw plenty there were no dead ones. The roos were in various stages - the newly killed that the birds hadn't butchered, the gory ones laid out like a macabre feast and the dried up remains from long ago.











This was one of the more recent ones - and the flocks of crows and other carrion hadn't got to it yet.

The crows were so fat and gorged that they had a job to take off when I blasted my horn at them.

I did see one eagle feasting and a few magpies were have a go as well.




I bought some batteries for my little reading light in the supermarket at Brewarrina this morning and the small pack cost $19.30! I was told things were expensive there!

Here's a few pics of the Paroo River.





I've booked in to Smalleys Beach near Mackay from Monday - I could only get four days together and number 6 is not one of my favorite sites but it will be a nice break and I'll probably get to catch up with my friends Tony and Denyse.

Tomorrows destination is a wait and see but it will be about 400km from here.





No comments:

Post a Comment